If you’re in the market for a new website, it’s likely that you’re aware of template websites such as Wix and Squarespace – but how do they compare against professional web developers? Is it better to build your own?
Template Websites (ie. Wix, WordPress, Woocommerce)
Template websites like Wix are very popular and affordable online platforms that allow you to easily create your own company website from your bedroom. There are a number of website builders to choose from and they are all relatively simple and easy enough for most people to use.
Advantages of using Template Websites
- Choosing from pre-made templates makes development time significantly quicker
- Whilst there are various packages available, it tends to be very cheap as a whole
- It gives the user complete control over their website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Disadvantages of using Template Websites
- Template designs are not unique to your business and can often feel like carbon copies, which can ultimately damage the authenticity of your brand
- Customization is limited, so the template may not be able to include all of the elements that your business needs
- Other businesses may be using the same template
- Website templates aren't search engine friendly, especially if the template you choose uses lots of images and not much text – this is a huge part of search engine optimization (SEO) and can damage your chances of being found organically
- You are on your own from the get-go. You won’t receive any advice or on-going support and may struggle if your template requires some more technical work
Web Developers usually work within marketing agencies or on a freelance basis. These professionals create websites day in, day out, and are experts in what they do. They will listen to your requirements and build a fully functional website that’s custom and unique to your business.
Advantages of using Web Developers
- The website is better optimized for SEO due to the technical aspects of SEO that the web developer can implement throughout the website
- The website will be unique and incorporate the exact branding of the company
- The website can be created to suit the exact needs of the business; allowing for certain elements that would perhaps be desirable or ‘nice to haves’ to be created
- The website will be rigorously tested to ensure that it’s responsive on all devices and works on all browsers
- The web development company that built your website is there for on-going support and could potentially even provide other additional digital marketing services such as SEO, social media, email marketing, and pay per click advertising (if they’re also a marketing agency)
- Web Developers will work with you and use their experience to offer suggestions that you may not have thought of
Disadvantages of using Web Developers
- Web developers are going to cost your business more than other template websites
- Web developers will take longer than template websites due to the additional detail that is being added to make the website unique
At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. We would always recommend that if you can afford to hire a professional web developer, you should. However, there are still some advantages to consider when it comes to template websites that could suit your situation.
Looking for a Web Developer?
You’re in the right place! Our friendly team of web developers are based in Wakefield and are always open to working with new clients on various projects. We can also take care of all of your digital marketing needs from SEO to pay-per-click. Get in touch with us today - we don't bite!